[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer rygb at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 6 14:40:47 PDT 2012

The Alter of Kelm suggested carrying two scriptures in one's pocket at
all times, to be referred to regularly.

Divrei HaYamim 1:28:9
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve
Him with a whole heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searcheth
all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts; if
thou seek Him, He will be found of thee; but if thou forsake Him, He
will cast thee off for ever.

Micha 6:6-8:
Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on
high? Shall I come before Him with burnt-offerings, with calves of a
year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of
rivers of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my transgression, the
fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?'
It hath been told thee, O man, what is good, and what the LORD doth
require of thee: only to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk
humbly with thy God.

Asos Mishpat, Ahavas Chesed, v'Hatznei'a Leches im Elokecha.

Can there be a better synopsis of the mission of the Mamleches Kohanim
v'Goy Kadosh?

KT, GS,
YGB