[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 6 09:36:25 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 12:08:53PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> It certainly wasn't for a milkhemes mitzvah, since R' Yehudah holds
>> Asa accountable for drafting grooms and brides

> He does nothing of the sort.

I'll simply quote the gemara in question, Sotah 10a. Until my words above,
we were discussing Rava's take on Asa:
    Darash Rava:
	Mipenei mah ne'enash Asa?
	Mipenei she'asa angaria betalmdei chakhamim.
	Shene'emar (Melakhim I 15:22):
	    "VehaMelekh Asa hishmia es kol Yehudah
	    ein naqi"

Anagry is a reclemation project, claiming the enemy's property to reuse
for the war. And as Rashi definea "angaria" -- "avodas hamelekh." They
weren't fighting.

Now in what may still be Rava (as RZS assumes) or may be the gemara's next
thought (which you shouldn't presume because of my lack of indentation):

    Mai "ein naqi"?
    Amar R' Yehudah amar Rav:
        afilu chasan meichedro
        vekalah meichupasah.

R' Yehudah amar Rav doesn't mention TC in particular
and therefore I would not assume is being quoted by Rava as proof.
But he does mention chasan and kalah, who the Rambam says /should
be drafted for a milkhemes mitzvah.

Rava has him giving TC heavy labor while the army is off to war.

R' Yehudah assumes this work isn't a draft for a milkhemes mitzvah,
and therefore Asa overreached.

Even if we combine the two, we aren't talking about the draft.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
micha at aishdas.org        man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
http://www.aishdas.org   about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter