[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 5 19:22:02 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:28:56PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 5/07/2012 2:33 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> I thought the whole question was "What one theme is central to His Ratzon
>> for what we should be accomplishing in life?"

> But there are many "main ideas", and on different levels.  There are
> main ideas on a practical level, and there are main ideas about the
> goals.  "Kol yemei chayecha lehavi liymot hamashiach" is certainly true,
> and *a* "main idea of Judaism"...

Which is why I said that I thought the question of /how/ one determines
which value is central is more interesting than each person spelling
out a different derekh's answer.

For example, why mashiach more than "Rabbi Chizqiyah beshem Rav: Asid
adam litein din vecheshbon al kol shera'as einav velo akhal"? (Closing
of Y-mi Qiddushin.)

Micha Berger             Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
micha at aishdas.org        but by rubbing one stone against another,
http://www.aishdas.org   sparks of fire emerge.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz