[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jul 5 17:28:56 PDT 2012

On 5/07/2012 2:33 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> I thought the whole question was "What one theme is central to His Ratzon
> for what we should be accomplishing in life?"

But there are many "main ideas", and on different levels.  There are
main ideas on a practical level, and there are main ideas about the
goals.  "Kol yemei chayecha lehavi liymot hamashiach" is certainly true,
and *a* "main idea of Judaism".  Ultimately everything we do should be
with an eye on this goal.  But it doesn't negate intermediate goals,
or other goals that also have solid maamarei chazal behind them.

If you ask "what is the main ingredient in this dish", you can get lots
of different answers, depending on whether you mean by volume, by value,
by nutritional value, by how much it contributes to the taste, etc.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion