[Avodah] confiscating property

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Jul 4 14:30:45 PDT 2012

I wondered:

> RZS seems to understand that the TAY Rebbe was speaking
> specifically about a situation where the owner of the
> "non-kosher phone" was a member of that kehillah, and had
> been warned that this could result from his "non-kosher phone"
> being found.

RZS answered, and asked:

> Of course.  Didn't you read the original report?  What else
> did you think we were talking about?  Roaming phone-smashing
> gangs?!

No, I did not read the original report. Where would I have read it? Did you or anyone else post a link here on Avodah?

R' Marty Bluke's original post did mention that this discussion began on Areivim, but I do not subscribe to Areivim (nor do most of the people who might happen to read the Avodah archives). His post said:

> Continuing the discussion from Areivim. The Toldos Avraham
> Yitzchak Rebbe made a series of statements against non-kosher
> phones. One of the things that he is reported to have said
> was that if they find a non-kosher phone on Shabbos they can
> be mechallel shabbos to destroy it. He also said that the
> destroyers would not have to pay for the destroyed phone.

No, it does not sound like a support for roaming phone-smashing gangs, and I based that on the phrase "if they find", which I interpret as one happening upon such a phone without actually searching for it. But it *does* sound to me like this would apply even in locations outside of their kehillah, or to phone-owning outsiders who are visiting their kehillah.

And from what I've seen on Avodah, it seems that others interpret it this way too. If anyone can direct us to "the original report", we'd surely appreciate it. Thanks.

(By the way, I'm very curious how the situation might arise that someone might "find a non-kosher phone on Shabbos". Is there a way to determine whether it is kosher on Shabbos? Doesn't one need to turn it on to ascertain this information? How is "non-kosher phone" defined? Are only certain brand names considered "kosher"?)

Akiva Miller