[Avodah] Translation of Makkos, Rav Dovid Feinstein Clarifies

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:38:55 PDT 2012

Regarding Rav Dovid Feinstteins intent in writing "sheh-shofchim
l'eebude ha-makkos": After writing a letter to the Rosh Yeshiva, vetted
by the participants in this discussion (and available upon request), I
waited a few days without receiving an answer. But I was at a simcha
where I spoke to someone who happens to know someone close to the Rosh
Yeshiva, and this is the reply I got:

Reb Zvi-
My friend spoke to Reb Dovid Shlit"a. All Reb Dovid would comment is
that it is to be understood the conventional way that we spill the wine
because of the suffering of the Egyptians. He will not respond in writing.
I hope this was helpful. Kol tuv.

Actually, I 'm surprised. I was actually getting convinced the original
translation was wrong, but I was mistaken. Of course, this is not quite
as solid as a written response, or a second-hand response; and I'm
frustrated that it won't be put in writing. Also, I'm trying to find out
if "understood the conventional way" was Reb Dovid's words or those of
one of the others, and whether it refers to the "conventional way" of
understanding the wording (unlikely, I think), or the concept of
limiting celebration over the death/suffering of reshaim. And of course,
the wide range of explanations being offered for what that concept
means--feeling sorry for them, feeling sorry for Hashem, etc.) remains open.

But I still think the Hebrew should be edited to make the intention
clear--unless, of course, it's purposely phrased to be ambiguous.

Zvi Lampel