[Avodah] Kiddush Levana in Tishre

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 04:43:51 PDT 2012

I understand that Kiddush Levana is a joyful mitzvah, and therefore many (most? all?) delay it from the Nine Days until after Tisha B'av.

But why do so many delay it from the Aseres Y'mei Teshuva (AYT) until after Yom Kippur? Two possible answers come to my mind, but I have problems with both of them.

1) AYT is a time of introspection and seriousness, and perhaps events of extreme simcha are to be avoided. I do not recall whether or not any communities specifically avoid getting married during the AYT, but even if there is indeed such a minhag, does Kiddush Levana rise to that level of simcha?

2) I can easily see the idea of "going from one mitzva to another", such as leaving shul on Motzaei Yom Kippur and saying Kiddush Levana outside immediately, even before going home. But does that override the principle of "When a mitzva is at hand, don't let it spoil"? Especially during the AYT, when we need all the zechus we can get, why push off this mitzva? (Especially given that there will be only a few days left in which to do it!)

Akiva Miller