[Avodah] Uv'chen Ten Pach'd'cha

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 03:26:12 PDT 2012

In the Amidah of RH and YK, the beginning of "Uv'chen Ten Pach'd'cha" begins with four phrases, describing four different classes of beings and something about each of them, and then a request that these four should unite as one "agudah".

1) The Pachad of G-d should be on all that He made (al kol maasecha).
2) The Aymah of G-d should be on all that He created (al kol mah shebarasa).
3) All of the maasim (all that was made) should fear Him.
4) All of the b'ruim (creations) should bow to Him.

Over the course of RH and YK, I was wondering what differences there could be between the these classes. I see clear patterns where 1 & 2 differ from 3 & 4, and also where 1 & 3 differ from 2 & 4.

Is there a difference between that He *made* and what He *created*? (I tend to distinguish these verbs as "created from nothing" and "made from something else".)

Is there a difference between what *He* (actively) made/created and what *was* made/created (by an unnamed Maker/Creator)?

Perhaps the answer is that it is simple poetry, that the very same class is being described four different ways for emphasis. But that doesn't seem likely to me, because then we would not be asking for the four classes to unite as one "agudah".

(I could ask why #1 uses a single word "maasecha" while #2 uses the two words "mah shebarasa", but I suspect that those are simply very common terms, preferred to the style of the Amidah. "Mah she'asisa" or "b'ruecha" would be relatively uncommon - if I even got the grammar correct.)

Thanks to all for your thoughts

Akiva Miller