[Avodah] More on Gmar Chasima Tovah?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Sep 25 07:21:41 PDT 2012

I posted the following on Areivim, and I am
continuing the discussion on Avodah.

Over the past few days people have been wishing
me a "Gmar Chasima Tova."  I do not understand
why they do not simply say "Chasima Tova."

My understanding is that the Ksiva is on RH,  and
the Chasima is on YK.  According to some the
final Chasima is on Hoshana Rabba.  If so then it
seems to me that Chasima Tova is appropriate for
the period between RH and YK, and Gmar Chasima
Tova should be reserved for the period between YK and Hoshana Rabba.

Someone pointed me to the following at http://tinyurl.com/97vzrho

Please see Yerushaseinu, volume 2 pages – tof mem
gimel - tof mem daled , By Rav Binyomin Shlomo
Hamburger. In short, here is a translation:

“G’mar Chasima Tova is not old, and has not found
by any of the Rishonim or Acharonim before the
Chasam Sofer. Even the Chasam Sofer himself would
say Chasima Tova without the word G’mar. See
SH”UT Chasam Sofer, Yoreh Deah were he begins
‘Chasima Tova
Moshe Hakatan Sofer from Frankfurt
am Main’
also see
and other places in the Chassam Sofer.

“There is only one responsa of the Chasam Sofer
were he uses the language of G’mar Chasima Tova,
found in SH”UT, Yoreh Deah, responsa resh daled,
were he says ‘Hashem yigmor b’ado, g’mar chasima
tova’. In this situation, Chasam Sofer is merely
using the language of David Hamelech in Tehillim
Ches, Koof lamed Ches. This does not imply that
this was the Chasam Sofer’s normal manner of speech.

“The phrase ‘Chasima Tova’ that the Chasam Sofer
was accustomed to was known more than 100 years
before he wrote his teshuvos as we find the
lashon of ‘Chasima Tova’ in a responsa of R’
Efraim HaKesher, author of Adnei Paz, [were he
specifically mentions this lashon in conjunction
with Ashkenaz – see it inside this is a lot to
type and translate]
We clearly see from here that
in the days of the Adnei Paz the lashon was ‘chasima tova’.

The phrase ‘chasima tova’ was common among all of
Western Europe until the ‘dor Ha’acharon’ (I’m
not sure if that refers to WWI or WWII – perhaps
I’ll ask R’ Hamburger), and is the same phrase
that is common among Sefardim. It is also
mentioned by R’ Menachem Gotleib of Hanover

R’ Avraham Gershon ben Mendal Zaks, Rosh Yeshiva
of Chafetz Chaim, was often makpid to only say
Chasima Tova like the ancient Minhag. We see from
here that even in Lithuania there were Talmedei
Chachamim who recited the bracha in this language.”

YL