[Avodah] Ki Savo

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 05:49:06 PDT 2012

"But Hashem did not give you a heart to
understand or eyes to see until today."

I've seen various interpretations for this pasuk.
The way I understand it (and I'm sure it's no chiddush)
is that "until today" they didn't need to be given a heart
to understand or eyes to see because they were dealing
constantly with the supernatural. Having seen all of the
phenomenal miracles, they didn't need a "heart" to understand
or "eyes" to see (metaphorically speaking). However, once
they come down to the natural reality, they (and we) needed the
heart and eyes.