[Avodah] When Are Mitzos Rewarded, The Passul Mezuza

Meir Rabi micha at aishdas.org
Sat Aug 25 02:15:48 PDT 2012

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:13:06 -0400
From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
> If the mezuzah is pasul then the mitzvah is *not* being done properly.

The Gemara insists that HKBH is Metzaref a well intentioned plan and
deems it to be as though it was performed. Whoever takes proper care
to install a Kosher Mezuzah gets the full Sechar of having had a Kosher
Mezuzah, in spite of the fact that it is Passul.

I presume there is a difference if we need to rely upon this Machshova
Tova for this person's Sechar or if we need to establish a Halachic
status that reflects upon secondary considerations, such as when a
mikveh is discovered to have been pasul making terumah tamei; or he
who discovers that he isn't Jewish, making the animal he shechted treif,
the mezuzah he wrote pasul, etc.

So even in these cases he will receive full Sechar, even though he DID
NOT DO IT. He does not need to do it to be rewarded, to be loyal.

> This is pashut and I don't see how anyone can claim otherwise.

Best,
Meir G. Rabi