[Avodah] Lulav vs Shofar shel Avodah Zara vs Shefoferes shel Parah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 7 08:12:05 PDT 2012

Today's daf yomi Y-mi is Yevamos 67. On amud a, there is a repeat of
a sugya we had in Sukkah. It's parallel to the Bavli's discussion of
mitzvah haba'ah ba'aveirah, and why a lulav shel asheirah is no good,
but one can be yotzei by hearing qolos made by a shofar shel AZ.

The Y-mi has far more repeated sugyos than the Bavli. I think because
of two factors:

1- Less redaction.

2- The Y-mi gives far more relative weight to quoted mesorah than to
logic compared to the Bavli. (And the logic it does tend to use is more
comparison and analogy based than the vertical reasoning you see in the
Bavli.) So, once a discussion from an earlier generation is referred
to, the Y-mi is more likely to simply quote it again in its entirety
unchanged.

In any case, here are my understandings of the machloqes R' Yosi and R'
Lazar ("understandings" because I can read R' Lazar two different ways)
as it appears on today's daf Y-mi:

In RH and Sukkah we found that the Y-mi uses "shena'aseh saneiguro
gatifuro" instead of the lashom of "mitzvah habaah ba'aveirah". IOW, it
explicitly refers to the pesul being in the cheftza. (And thus eliminating
need to explain when it's a case of mitzvah habaah ba'aveirah and when
we say asei dokeh lav.)

You're not yotzei with a lulav she'll AZ because it lacks lakhem. But
by mitzvas shofar, "Yom Teru'ah yiyheh lakham"...

R Yosi: ... there is also a lakhem, but the "cheftza" is the Yom
Teru'ah. And you will have a day of fanfare.

R Lazar ver 1: ... the mitzvah is the pe'ulah of making a qol. Therefore
there is no cheftzah to turn into a qateigor.

R Lazar ver 2: ... the cheftza is the qol, and since you made the sound,
it is lakhem. In this version, R' Yosi and R Lazar agree that there
is a cheftzah, just that it's not an object, and thus not the cheftzah
tainted by being a qateigor.

The problem I have is that while we say that one could use a shofar shell
AZ, we do invoke "ein qateigor naaseh saneigor" as one of the reasons not
to use a bovine horn, which invokes the eigel. (The other being it's a
multi-layered shefoferes, not the singular sound of a shofar.) Shouldn't
either both be pesulim as kateigarim about AZ, or neither?

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle