[Avodah] Does Daf Yomi Exemplify Talmud Torah?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:37:15 PDT 2012

Please see the scholarly article at
http://www.hakirah.org/Vol%202%20Zelcer.pdf
(<http://hakirah.org/Vol%202%20Zelcer.pdf>

Does Daf Yomi<http://hakirah.org/Vol%202%20Zelcer.pdf> Exemplify
Talmud Torah?)

that appeared in Volume 2 of Hakirah.  This article concludes

Based on our analysis, we have shown that reading the text of the
Mishnah or the Gemara without understanding it is not Talmud Torah.
Furthermore, a superficial understanding of Torah She-be'al Peh that
does not sink into one's mind is clearly not the ideal form of Talmud
Torah. We are also warned explicitly to review and remember what we
learned. The ideal type of Talmud Torah is thus to study and analyze
carefully, and gain new insights into the primary Torah sources. These
insights and understandings must then be reviewed repeatedly until
one internalizes them and they become part of one's long-term
memory.