[Avodah] R Elyashiv

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 00:44:24 PDT 2012

the best zchut for a TC is to quote something in his name.
I saw something in "Alenu LeShabeach" that is appropriate also for this
season

In a certain class one boy had a stutter and the other boys(no age given)
 continually made fun of him. He begged them to stop but the hazing
continued (R Zilberstein wondered where were the rabbeim). It got so bad
that eventually the boy was admitted to a mental institution with no hope
of recovery. At this stage the other boys felt bad and went to R. Elyashiv
with the question of what they could do now. R. Elyashiv answered that it
was too late and the only thing to be done was to wait until after 120
years and ask for mewchilla at his kever (he said that there can be no
mechilla while he is alive). Thus, the boys will have to carry this on
their conscience all their lives.

R. Zilberstein explains that it is similar to one who puts his hand in a
fire and tells the doctor it wasnt done on purpose - doesnt matter.
Similarly the damage they did by their taunts cannot be forgiven and the
motive is immaterial. R. Zilberstein stresses that we see from this the
great importance of not insulting someone else and treating everyone no
matter what his faults with dignity

--
Eli Turkel