[Avodah] treif anatomy

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:34:36 PDT 2012

<< :                                                 Doesn't treif mean the
: animal has a condition that will soon cause its death? If the farmer does
: procedure that creates a hole in the cow's stomach -- but he does it to
: PREVENT  the cow's death -- why does it make the cow treif?

RGS notes that tereifos might actually be an exception for the CI, where
in general he would hold nishtanah hateva, nishtanah hadin. But as RDE
replied (later citing CI YD 5:3), here Chazal used G-d-given reshus to
define the limits of a Halakhah leMoshe miSinai. Since it was legislating
(my phrasign), it can only be changed during the 2 millenia of Torah.
Pasq based on Chazal's understanding of metzi'us can be overturned as
our knowledge of the metzi'us improves. >>

To the best of my knowledge this is a chiddush of CI and no one had
mentioned this idea before.
As such I am not sure that it is universally accepted.

As to the question itself I vaguely remember a similar question regarding
"crut shufchah"
i.e. if one does an operation on a man to save his semen producing
abilities but it involves making a hole

--
Eli Turkel