[Avodah] single mother

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 03:11:08 PDT 2012

due to some questions I am expanding my previous post on using the sperm of
the father and he dies from the article in techumim by . Dr Steinberg

1. If they collected sperm from the husband and he died immediately after
the fertilization of his wife but before pregnancy then
Noda Beyeuda - the child is the son/daughter for all halachot except
yibum/halichatza since the father was not alive when his wife became
pregnant

Many (Keen Orah, Chatam Sofer, Shoel Umeshiv, RSZA ec) disagree and say
that introducing the sperm into the wife  stops the yibum process even
though she became pregnant a few days later.

2 If the sperm was frozen and used after the death of the husband
Chavat Binyamin and  R. Yisraeli hold that there is no halachic connection
between the donor and the child and so the mother requires yibum or
chalitza when needed.
RSZA the child inherits the "father" but he agrees that the mother requires
yibum

Extracting semen after the death of the husband
R. Halperin allows it based on responsa of R. Unterman and R. Herzog. Of
course the same disagreement of R. Yisraeli and RSZA holds.

As I wrote before R. Dr. Steinberg holds that the special circumstances
allow a single mother even if there is no halachic father and the social
problems.

The rest of the article talks about cloning and the status of fatherhood.

 note that most of the sources are from previous Techumum issues and they
are one of the few places that deal with these issues.
There are almost no modern day poskim that deal with the issues of cloning.

--
Eli Turkel