[Avodah] confiscating property [was: Mechallel Shabbos to destroy a non-kosher phone]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 3 08:20:43 PDT 2012

From: "Chana Luntz" <Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk>
>>The  Benei Banim has a series of teshuvos (Shut Bnei Banim Chelek Sheni
siman 47,  48 and 49) regarding the halachic impermissibility of the common
practice in  schools of taking the property of their students (such as
balls and the  like), even if the intention is to return them at the end
of the day or the  end of the term on the grounds that it is stealing
(this is a great one to  raise at a shabbas/yom tov table where you have
a bunch of teachers as guests  - you get howls of outrage about how this
is necessary and essential and a  school cannot run otherwise).  <<
Regards
Chana

If the student handbook says that toys, cellphones and so on will be
confiscated if used improperly during class time, and if there is a page that
has to be signed by the parents and the child ("I have read the handbook and
agree to abide by the terms"), then I just don't see what the problem is.
This is common practice in the elementary and high schools I am familiar
with --  to have the rules spelled out in writing and signed.  You say the Bnai
 Banim has a "series" of teshuvos, but I am puzzled as to how much could
there  possibly be to say!  Maybe if property is confiscated without
warning.....?  But surely even without written notice, kids know that their
property is subject to confiscation?  What teacher's desk doesn't have a  drawer
full of confiscated items to be returned on Friday or on the last day of
school in June?

Actually Bais Yakov of Miami has a box in the office where all the girls
are required to deposit their cellphones when they arrive in the morning, to
be  picked up again at the end of the day.  You could ask, why then bring
cellphones to school at all?  The answer is that many of the older girls
drive carpool, and a driver needs a cellphone.  A passenger needs a  cellphone
too, in case the driver is out sick one day  or something.  Probably student
carpools are not an issue in  Israel.  But anyway, suppose a girl failed to
leave her phone in the  office?  She KNOWS it will be taken away if she is
caught with it.

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair