[Avodah] Kivrey Avos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jun 29 16:36:32 PDT 2012

On 29/06/2012 5:29 PM, T613K at aol.com wrote:
> This week's parsha, Chukas -- see Bamidbar 20:15.  "The Egyptians did evil to us and to our fathers."  A more natural way to have said this would have been "...to our fathers and to us."
> Rashi therefore comments, "Mikan sheha'avos mitzta'arim bakever keshepur'anus ba'ah al Yisrael."
> "From here we see that the Avos grieve in their graves when punishment comes upon Yisrael."

Yes.  The question is how they know.  Of course when people are being
killed, those neshamos can go and inform them.  But when, for instance,
the world needs rain but nobody has yet died from its lack, how do they
know?  And the Zohar says that we must inform the local meisim, who will
then go and inform the Avos.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion