[Avodah] Drops of wine

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 29 14:00:48 PDT 2012

I did. As I wrote:
>> The Chavos Yair (#225) not only DOES tie CH on shevi'i shel Pesach to
>> "maasei Yadai", he says that's why we do not say any special ofanim,
>> either. (The latter makes much sense, actually.) It's a "yeis ta'am
>> acheir", but the CY doesn't reject it...

> You are completely misrepresenting the CY.  He is not on your side on
> this.  First of all, he says that the real reason for half-hallel is the
> korbanos, and *not* the Mitzrim...

Yes. As I wrote, he says it's a "yeish ta'am acher". Not false, but
only a secondary reason. He supports the Beis Yoseif's answer and spends
space defending it. So spell out where you see the Chavor Yair actually
rejecting this ta'am acheir.

And yes, if you believe the Yalqut Shim'oni accurately records Chazal,
then there is room for the BY and all those others to disagree with
a gemara. (Never mind the Medrash Harininu, which even if we never
heard of before, does have the Shibolei haLeqet's vote of condience.)
But more likely they have some teirutz that distinguishes Haman and
Amaleiq from Mitzrayim. Just because you can't think of one, you can't
assume one doesn't exist.

You and Lisa can't seriously tell me that even though a dozen sources
quote "maasei Yadai" and "binfol oyivkha" WRT Chatzi Hallel, it's
unJewish. Or, as Lisa did, simply refuse to believe the BY said what
he did.

>> If you choose
>> to reject the Yalqut, the Shibolei haLeqet, the Beis Yoseif, the Taz,
>> the Maharil (in the name of Rashi), the Kav HaChaim [...], AND THE
>> CHAVOS YAIR, there could well be al mi lismoch.

> No, I am not rejecting them, the ones I checked *do not say what you
> claim they do*...

Yeah, just I read them that way, and so do the people you suggested I was
copying or relying upon. (Every thread in which you make that accusation,
BTW, you actually reassure me. If my read matches the common one, I am
less likely to wonder if perhaps I erred.) If you can deny an open Beis
Yoseif saying what he does, perhaps the problem is your own allegiance
to a particular view getting in the way of an objective assessment of
the sources?

I therefore also would want to see where you think the CY rejects his
"ta'am acheir".

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter