[Avodah] Drops of wine

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 27 04:56:11 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:28:18AM -0600, Daniel M. Israel wrote:
: When I first posted this quote from the Kol Dodi, my intention was to : make the following point: regardless of who is right in RMB and RZS's
: discussion of the origin of the idea that we spill for the makkos to
: show that our joy is incomplete, it is in fact a well accepted notion
: in contemporary frum circles, and not just fringes with "lefty" ideas.

RZL wrote such a letter, I'm sure he'll share the answer.

: What I would be more curious of, assuming you (RAM) having been looking
: through an (extensive?) Hagada collection is the answer to the original
: question: how many hagaddos (and which ones) mention spilling for the
: plagues because of decreased joy?

In previous iterations, we also mentioned the hagaddah of R' SZ Aurbach['s
talmidim] and it appears as a "yeish lomar" in that of R Elyashiv (pg 106,
"dam va'eish").

A third question: We only have one other, and better sourced, proposal:
"Etzba Elokim hi". But Yekkes don't use an etzba, and even East Europeans
allow istenisim to spill from the cup. What's the to'eles?

: My point was, RZS's contention that this is an idea alien to Torah is
: not correct, regardless of the source, as proven by the number of
: widely: respected talmedei chachamim cite it.

I made the same argument by pointing out that if such compassion were
unJewish, so would giving the parallel explanation for Chatzi Hallel on
the last day of Pesach. And yet /that/ has a solid pedigree.

Micha Berger             Brains to the lazy
micha at aishdas.org        are like a torch to the blind --
http://www.aishdas.org   a useless burden.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 - Bechinas HaOlam