[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 26 07:55:40 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 03:23:10PM +0100, Chana Luntz wrote:
: On 25/06/2012 3:11 PM, Ben Waxman wrote:
:> Plus since I don't buy for second your argument that anyone learning full
:> time counts as a TC, the distinction really isn't there.

: And RZS replied:
:> What other criterion could there be?

: How about the Rema's definition in Shulchan Aruch Yoreh Deah Siman 243
: namely:

BTW, people can see this post, with Hebrew, at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.culture.religion.jewish.avodah/28230
(GMane.org is used to turn Avodah into a RSS feed for people who want
to read it in a blog reader. This threaded archive is just a handy
side-benefit.)

I find it interesting that WRT to kibud, it depends what he knows
(shaqla vetarya, mar'eh meqomos be'al peh in chumash, shas and ge'onim),
not time or even effort. This makes a distinction between the measure of
the mitzvah, which AIUI is ameilus, and how we measure kibud-worthiness.
Someone with an edietic memory gets more kibud for less work.

I also find it interesting that it is WRT taxes, a financial issue,
that the Rama focuses on torasam umenasan -- those whose "job" is Torah,
a different criterion.

But nidon didan is neither, it's the draft.

Micha Berger             People were created to be loved.
micha at aishdas.org        Things were created to be used.
http://www.aishdas.org   The reason why the world is in chaos is that
Fax: (270) 514-1507      things are being loved, people are being used.