[Avodah] length of pregnancy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 26 07:31:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:10:34PM -0400, Micha Berger wrote:
: On today's daf, Y-mi Yevamos 2:4 (vilna 24a-b), it learns from the time
: delay required between petirah and yibum a list of things, among them
: "sheha'ishah yolefes lachadashim mequta'im" -- it doesn't have to be a
: whole (integer) number of months...

That's 4:2, lysdexia strikes again!

Actually, now that I'm on 4:11 27a, I see it's nisht azoi pashut...

The 3 months wait before a baby shows is me'eis la'eis.

But the 7 or 9 months until birth is subject to machloqes: either me'eis
la'eis or we count calendar months. Not that it is necessarily on the
same day of the month as conception, but part or rov of Adar will be
month 1 of the 9, and then part or rov of Tishrei would make month
#9. (I haven't gotten to the point of knowing if there is a masqanah as
to whether it needs rov of a calendar month to count.)

In any case, even chadashim mequta'im could mean a tie to the calendar.

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)