[Avodah] length of pregnancy

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 06:20:46 PDT 2012

>> Google says a lot of  people believe that if they are close to term,
women
are more likely  to go into labor when there is a /full/ moon. However
Google
also says that  scientific studies fail to prove this. I believe that the
same  number  of children are born every day of the year, the only
significant
uptick  being nine months after a major power failure. <<  [--TK]

Someone sent me an article off list (sorry don't have a link) re a study
done in J-m hospital -- it showed that more babies were born in the 24 hours
after Yom Kippur than would be expected randomly.  These were full term
babies, the study did not show that fasting brought on premature delivery.
The suggestion is that mild dehydration may bring on labor, so presumably
the same would be true after Tisha B'Av.  Even though the study was
inconclusive on this point, the article suggested that a pregnant  woman with a
history of premature deliveries might want to ask a shaila  about fasting on Y'K
(I guess just having some water).

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair