[Avodah] yaarog v' al.....how many? and why?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 19 07:52:24 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:46:34AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> On 6/15/2012 11:39 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 02:48:31PM -0700, Harvey Benton wrote:
>> : shita, and why? since it is not one  of the 3 yaareg v' al yaavors.....
>> CH might be subsumed under AZ, though.

> Pardon? Why on earth would chillul Hashem be a toladah of avodah zarah?

Let's go back a step, since I missed something...

The concept of yeihareig ve'al yaavor is itself part of the mitzvah of
qiddush hasheim. So, it would seem that defining chillul hasheim within
asking about how one violates qiddush hasheim is begging for circular
reasoning anyway.

This also *may* answer the OP. aside from his conflating yeihareig ve'al
ya'avor with the punishment of misah. Milchamah will require people
losing their lives in order to fulfil the mitzvah, but it's not for the
sake of the specific mitzvah of qiddush hasheim. The "big three" are.

But here was my reasoning:

Following Encyc Talmudit (thanks Bar Ilan web site!) there are the three
types of chillul hasheim:
1- Doing an aveirah be'oneis when it's yeihareig ve'al ya'avor

2- doing one of a list of specific aveiros, but doing it lehach'is or
betei'avon but beharhesia.

3- Someone who represents Judaism in the eyes of others doing something
that reflects badly on that which he represents.

I was thinking of #3 in particular, since we were just discussing the
linkage between presenting poorly to nachriim and non-shomerei mitzvos
and chillul hasheim.

Now I can get to the actual connection: I could see calling an issur
against doing that which dissuades others from following the G-d of the
Jews a toladah of the issur against worshipping another god (or the real
G-d but not as the Torah says).

Micha Berger             It's nice to be smart,
micha at aishdas.org        but it's smarter to be nice.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - R' Lazer Brody
Fax: (270) 514-1507