[Avodah] Why Not: Yehoshua BEN Nun?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 13 07:53:00 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 06:04:01AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> That is not a valid analogy. "Binyamin" IS one word.
>> "Bin Nun" is 2 words and the context is not the same.
>
> Are they really two words?  Doesn't the makaf make them one word?
> And in what way is the context different?  What does Binyamin mean?
> "Son of the right".  So how is it different from this?

I think the Radaq's answer just shifts the OP's question. Okay, when
it's one *teivah* (even if two *words* connected by a maqaf), we use
"bin". When do we connect the "ben" to the father's name, and when
not? The Radaq says it's length of the name. What about about Chushim,
is he "bin-Dan" or "ben Dan"? (Doesn't appear in Tanach.)

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore