[Avodah] Spouse vs. parent

hankman hankman at bell.net
Tue Jun 12 18:25:45 PDT 2012

RMF wrote:
I have heard that the reason is that a parent is the only individual that
can never be replaced (whereas a spouse or a child can be).

CM responds:
Grandparents are also not “replaceable” but you do not even sit shiva for them at all. Similarly, an uncle or an aunt are also not replaceable (assuming the grandparents can no longer bear children or are no longer living) and one does not sit shiva for them either. It seems to my way of seeing things, that “replaceability” does not enter the calculus of shiva.

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster