[Avodah] Exchange of the Levi'im for the bechorim inlastweek's parsha.

hankman hankman at bell.net
Tue Jun 12 15:48:45 PDT 2012

RMB wrote:
I'm just uncomfortable with this multiplying of nissim that no classical
source bothers mentioning. It's too facile.

CM responds:
I agree. I too would prefer not to proliferate nissim not already in the
meforshim.  However as I can not see this occurring bederech hateva - I can
not come up with an alternative. Nissim not being a problem for ma'aminim,
the real issue is why AFAIK it is not discussed  by the meforshim. Aside
from the Chezkuni I mentioned in my earlier post, is anyone aware of a
discussion of this in Chazal or the meforshim?

There is a small philosophical issue here as well. The idea of giving a
commandment to do something that you can only accomplish through the
intervention of a nes strikes me as a little strange. (There are various
well known examples of this like the hakomas hamikdosh by Moshe Rabbeinu)
Sure, you can say it is your job to do what you can and leave the rest to
G-d, so I do my hishtadlus to the extent possible and then the rest is out
of my hands. Still why command me to do something I could never accomplish?
Maybe the point is just that - to teach us exactly that lesson? (You do
yours and leave the rest to G-d  --  hishtadlus required but success not
necessary when not within your capabilities).

RMB wrote:
...3 men couldn't produce in 2 generations enough men to offer 90,000 lambs
in one afternoon for the Pesach in Gilgal, either.

CM responds:
Again I agree. You are right. The same problem exists for the korban Pesach
at Gilal at the end of the 40 years. I made a point of the korban Pesach at
the start of the 40 years because here the problem is in spades - just 3
kohanim, not 3 generations of kohanim.

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster