[Avodah] Exchange of the Levi'im for the bechorim in lastweek's parsha.

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 12 14:24:41 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 04:35:39PM -0400, hankman wrote:
:> There were no qorbanos Pesach in the midbar. By the time kehunah was
:> taken away from the bechorim...

: You misunderstood me. I agree there was no korban Pesach in the
: Midbar. But there was one exception, that was the first anniversary of
: yetzias Mitzraim, ie., the beginning of the second year in the Midbar...

As Zev mentioned, last week we read about Pesach Sheini, because of
those who felt they would miss out, that year.

But I think it was I, not you, who was unclear.

When did the kehunah go to Aharon's line? Was that the Rosh Chodesh
before /that/ Pesach, or the following one? For some reason I thought
the latter, but now that I try to work it out, I don't see how I got
to that notion.

In any case, this is a tangent off the original question, because 3 men
couldn't produce in 2 generations enough men to offer 90,000 lambs in
one afternoon for the Pesach in Gilgal, either.

We would have to clone the neis of appointing the leviim either way.
I'm just uncomfortable with this multiplying of nissim that no classical
source bothers mentioning. It's too facile.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke