[Avodah] West Hartford Doctor Challenges GE On `Sabbath Mode' Oven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 1 11:10:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 04:58:27PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: I've wondered about this too. My guess is that both are grama, and those
: rabbanim would say so. The difference (I'm guessing) is that they're
: willing to allow this grama for the need of those cholim etc. who have
: a real need for Machon Zomet devices, but they're not willing to concede
: this leniency for more ordinary cases. Again, this is just my guess.

What they signed, at least as translated by "a prominent rov and posek"
who sent it to YWN:
    In our opinion, pressing the keys on Yom Tov is strictly forbidden
    since pressing a key immediately closes an electrical circuit and
    instructs the microcontroller to carry out an action. Pressing the
    key is forbidden just as all manipulation of electricity is forbidden
    on Shabbos and Yom Tov either because of "Makeh B'patish" or because
    of "Mesaken" as described in Igros Moshe (vol.3 §42 and vol.4 §84)
    whereby there can be a Torah violation immediately upon pressing the
    key even if no "fire'"is created. This operation is not considered
    "Grama".

Not "we can't rely on gerama". The translator adds (braketed on
the web pg):
              [Furthermore, according to a number of authorities,
    "Grama" does not apply to situations where the eventual outcome
    is intentional.]

Furthermore, from the comments with the signatures that add substance:
    There is no Heter for the above, nor will Grama accomplish here.
    I affix my signature, awaiting the redemption. -- (HoRav) Shmuel
    Wozner

    Surely, surely one is obligated to protest this leniency with all
    our might. Such leniencies are a great degradation in the foundation
    of Shmiras Shabbos and those that are careful with the honor of
    Shabbos will bring an eternal Brocho upon themselves. -- (HoRav)
    Yechezkel Roth, Head of Karlsbad Bais Din

    Aside from the actual prohibition, there lies herein a breach in the
    wall of Shmiras Shabbos and Yom Tov through which the Jewish nation
    is sanctified thoughout the generations. -- (HoRav) Yaakov Horowitz,
    Rav, Telz Minyan

Also, I noted already that Shabbos mode:
1- Disables the 12 hr safety timer
2- Gramafies, maybe, the keypad.

I now see that it also
3- Disables the door switch. When not in Shabbos mode, many ovens
   immediately shut off heating elements when the door opens.

Thus there is value to Shabbos mode ovens even if one wouldn't use the
keypad on Yom Tov.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter