[Avodah] West Hartford Doctor Challenges GE On `Sabbath Mode' Oven

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Jun 1 09:58:27 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger asked:

> I should point out that most of the rabbanim signing on
> to the letter saying that #2 doesn't help do sign on to
> a number of Machon Zomet geramah-based inventions. I'm
> curious to know the difference between the cases. Why
> is Zomet's delayed causation of a desired result gerama,
> but this isn't?

I've wondered about this too. My guess is that both are grama, and those rabbanim would say so. The difference (I'm guessing) is that they're willing to allow this grama for the need of those cholim etc. who have a real need for Machon Zomet devices, but they're not willing to concede this leniency for more ordinary cases. Again, this is just my guess.

Akiva Miller