[Avodah] Would Ruth's conversion be rejected today?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 1 08:10:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 09:35:57AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 1/06/2012 6:13 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Well, if RAM is speaking of yibum as a societal practice, halachic
>> parameters aren't an issue.
>
> Then why would it matter whether the marriage was valid?  There could
> just as easily be the same idea about giving the deceased's mistress
> a child in his name...

Except that's not the societal norm. As far as we can tell. Why turn
this into a question instead of a data point?

>> As for a yibum-esque societal practice, Yehudah was Tamar's father-in-law.
>> And there the pasuq makes a point of telling us that both sons died
>> childless. It certainly seems as though it was the lack of children that
>> motivated Tamar.

> That was what motivated *Tamar*; she wanted children from the holy family,
> and would do whatever it took to get some.  I don't see anything to indicate
> that she cared about perpetuating Er's name.  *Yehuda* is the one who cared
> about that.

I don't see anything that limits her motive to one of the other.

Yehudah didn't know it was Tamar, which kind of rules out his planning
to perpetuate Er or Onan's lines.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The waste of time is the most extravagant
micha at aishdas.org        of all expense.
http://www.aishdas.org                           -Theophrastus
Fax: (270) 514-1507