[Avodah] When is exaggeration proper and improper?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri May 25 05:42:46 PDT 2012

From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com"  <kennethgmiller at juno.com>
-1

In an Areivim thread titled "Asifa  - Lose Olam Haba", RMB wrote:

> Anyone who was firmly within the  target audience
> realized it was guzma.

I don't read Areivim, nor  did I attend the Asifa, but the context of this
statement doesn't really matter  too much. But it is a good opening to a
question which has long bothered me.  Namely: Do Chazal or Poskim discuss when
guzma is appropriate, and when it is  not?

Are they at all worried about people who will take their words too
seriously? ....
I have always been something of a literalist, and when I hear  people
saying things which are clear exaggerations, they tend to lose  credibility in my
eyes. But as I have matured, I have come to understand that  guzma CAN be a
legitimate rhetorical device....

Where is that line  between truth and guzma?  Once it gets blurred, to what
extent can people  be held responsible for their disbelief? ....
The sticking point, in my mind,  is where to draw the line.....

Asei lecha rav.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good values,  good family, good  hair