[Avodah] torture in halacha???

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 14 19:03:21 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:54:59PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> I presume also to torture in order to retrieve a stolen quarter.

> Why do you presume it?  Is it OK to hit someone for that reason?  If
> not, then we don't need to ask about torture.  If yes, then on what
> basis do you *presume* that torture is not also permitted?  Just
> because it feels wrong?

Hitting someone in order to get a quarter back is itself a minimal
case or torture.

We're miscommunicating because you are saying that there is no separate
issur of torture beyond hitting, something to which I agree. I don't think
hitting in order to get something from someone and torture are different
things.

However, I am saying that the question of issur veheter and what
constitutes sufficient justification for torture does exist -- because
the question exists for hitting.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Yesod: When does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507               require one to be strict with another?