[Avodah] forcing a GET

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:45:40 PDT 2012

Your reading of the Shulchan Aruch is problematic. In particular your
insistence that the Iquar is like the Rambam.

Despite showing a range of sources that say otherwise you simple say
"The se'if is generally taken to refer to ma'u alai"  - but it isn't.
E.H. 154 is referring to those cases where the gemora says a person
should be forced or should give a get. The case of ma'us alei found in
Kesubos 63b does not mention that the get should be forced, or that he
is chayiv to divorce or even that she goes out of the marriage. All it
says is she is not forced to have sexual relations. In fact in the
teshuva literature there are views that as long as we are not concerned
that she might go off the derech - she remains in the marriage entirely
at the discretion of the husband - without any pressure applied to him
to give a divorce.

Even Rabbi Bechhofer who generally is agreement with your position
regarding harchokas of Rabbeinu Tam agrees that the halacha is not like
the Rambam in ma'us alei. So I simply don't understand why you are
ignoring the multiple references in Otzer Haposkim who disagree with
your understanding. At this point you keep insisting your position
without offering a single source that agrees with you.