[Avodah] forcing a GET

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at gmail.com
Sun May 13 01:08:16 PDT 2012

I think I am getting an understanding of where you are erring.

*The Shulchan Aruch (E.H. 154) is discussing the issue of what force is
allowed where the GEMORA KESUBOS 77 MENTIONS  that a divorce is either
forced or required.*  It is not talking about cases where the Gemora
says or indicates that husband has the perogative whether he wants to
get divorced. [BTW the Beis Yosef in 154 says that he discusses the case
of forcing for ma'us alei in simon 77].  Since in case of ma'su alei a
get is not required by the Talmud to give or be forced - then it is not
being discussed in simon 154. The harchokos of rabbeinu Tam are
mentioned in 154 because according to Rabbeinu Tam they don't constitute
force and thus are relevant in a divorce case where force is not allowed
or where you want to be machmir to avoid a get me'usa. Thus at most you
can conclude  is that in a case where a get is totally optionally
according to the gemora - that the Rema would allow the use of harchakos
of Rebbeinu Tam if beis din saw a need for the divorce. No word of what
the Shulchan Aruch would say. *So when you insist that simon 154 is
referring to all divorces - that is a major error.* It is only dealing
with all cases of divorces where the gemora uses the term "force" or
"required" or that "she goes out".  it is not dealing with cases where
Get is totally optional according to the gemora.

In contrast you start with the assumption that the Shulchan Aruch must
hold like the  Rambam that in a case of ma'us alei  the Talmud ( Kesubos
63b) itself requires a divorce. In fact the Shulchan Aruch says no such
thing and but clearly states regarding ma'us alei  in 77 -  "if the
husband *wants* to divorce" . Thus he clearly disagrees with the Rambam
who says he *must* be divorced in ma'us alei - see Be'er Hagola and
Magid Mishna . You explain this difficulty away by claiming that simon
77 is only dealing with the issue of kesuba. But the Beis Yosef says
otherwise. And the Otzer Haposkim would not attach a whole kuntres of
"Forcing in a case of ma'us alei "- if it weren't relevant to the simon.
If you are correct then the Shulchan Aruch would have to say that even
though the halacha is that we can force the husband - but the minhag or
the takana of the sages is not to. But he doesn't. In the Beis Yosef -
there is no statement that he agrees with the Rambam - and in fact he
brings a list of poskim who reject the Rambam.

You also have a problem why those who are maikel in ma'us alei and allow
harchakos of Rabbbinu Tam - when they list those who agree with the
Rambam - do not mention the Shulchan Aruch or the Rema! The Tzitz
Eliezar in particular has a major dispute with Rav Eliashiv about who
agrees with the Rambam - he greatly expands Rav Eliashiv's list of
Rambam and Rashba - but does not include the Shulchan Aruch and the Rema
[He does say he has a diyuk which could be understood in one place that
Rema allows the use of force in those places where the Rambam is
accepted - hardly a support for your position].

Tzitz Eliezar 4:21 [see also 5:26]