[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

hankman hankman at bell.net
Fri May 11 12:25:19 PDT 2012

On 11/05/2012 1:46 PM, hankman wrote:
> Since  man was granted permission to eat vegetation, then certainly that
> would include any substances that are indeed consumed by the vegetation in
> order for them to grow and thus become food for man.

RZS responded:
Kosher birds and fish eat treife animals.  (For that matter, so do
kosher mammals.)  Would your kal vachomer mean that we can eat whatever
a chicken eats?!

CM responds:

Of course not - since the shekatzim and remashim that I assume you are
referring to are explicitly made asur by  the Torah. Ie., the kal vechomer
(as you seem to agree) is there but it is trumped by the explicit issur
given in the Torah.

Kol Tuv
Chaim Manaster