[Avodah] Any opinions on the kashrus of Peng Peng?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Fri May 11 12:06:13 PDT 2012

On 5/11/2012 12:46 PM, hankman wrote:
> RZS wrote:
>> What about water and salt? Where did the Torah permit those to be
>> consumed?

> I think the most straight forward approach would be a kal vechomer
> from the permit to eat vegetation. Since  man was granted permission
> to eat vegetation, then certainly that would include any substances
> that are indeed consumed by the vegetation in order for them to grow
> and thus become food for man.
> I should point out that this was not quite as obvious as I originally
> imagined. Water is pretty clear but I had to google around a bit
> before I found that plants do need chlorine (as in sodium chloride)...

That's irrelevant. No human being was aware of any need for salt, and
therefore could not have deduced by kal v'chomer that salt is permissible.
Salt is permissible for a very simple reason. It was never forbidden.

On 5/11/2012 12:53 PM, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 1:46 PM, hankman wrote:
>> Since  man was granted permission to eat vegetation, then certainly
>> that would include any substances that are indeed consumed by the
>> vegetation in order for them to grow and thus become food for man.

> Kosher birds and fish eat treife animals.  (For that matter, so do
> kosher mammals.)  Would your kal vachomer mean that we can eat whatever
> a chicken eats?!

Not meaning to dilute your point, which is an excellent one, I'd question
your parenthetical addition. I can't think of a single kosher mammal
that's carnivorous. In fact, when cows had meat snuck into their food,
they wound up with Mad Cow Disease.

Lisa