[Avodah] Fwd: Rabbi Hershel Schachter - True Freedom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 11 09:52:09 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:46:40AM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
: On May 11, 2012 10:19 AM, "Micha Berger" <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
:> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:09:56AM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
:>: RHS ignored the Israeli reality that not learning in Kollel means joining
:>: the army....
:> It's also assur to avoid a milkhemes mitzvah....
:> I realize you can well disagree, for that matter, R Dovid did. But you
:> need to work with RHS's shittos within /his/ assumptions.
: No! No! RHS is entitled to his own opinions, and anyone who wants to
: take his over, say, the CI, Steipler, etc., enjoy....
:                                             When describing a question
: one can't leave out important information.

But my whole objection was that he didn't "ignore the Israeli reality"
when he spoke of leaving kollel. He has a different attitude about the
alternative of joining Tzahal. You misdescribed where he and the gedolim
you follow part ways.

: Further your assertion that greater numbers of O Jews would make a
: difference, is shown to be naive from recent decisions forcing O Jews
: to hear live kol isha, when there is absolutely no reason (of any type -
: military or otherwise) for it.

Actually, those decisions are the product of a desperate old guard who
see the army being taken over by kipot serugot. 80% of Golani's officers
are dati. That scares the old Avodah party / aliyah bet types, and they're
pushing back. Gam zeh yaavor.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:07:21PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 10:19 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> It's also assur to avoid a milkhemes mitzvah. [...] talmidei chakhamim
>> are drafted FIRST.
>
> Where does it say this?

Well, certainly not Nedarim 32a, where R' Avohu quotes R' Elazar as
saying that galus Mitzrayim was the punishment for Avraham drafting
talmidei chakhaim. And while Gid'on's 300 men were those who wouldn't
kneel even when technically muttar (Shofetim 7:5-6), which makes them
the the holier portion of the candidates, that's still far short of
being talmidei chakhamim.

Although note that the TC must have been among those Hashem tells Gid'on
to choose, not those sent back for kneeling. And the rach leivav who
are sent back in every war includes the avaryanim, leaving the holiest
to fight. And this includes "major aveiros", like talking between putting
on tefilah shel yad and shel rosh.

But it was this din I was exagerating, and I was thinking of the play
in Brisk, performed by Maskilim out to show how absurdly (in their eyes)
this halakhah would play out, and R' Chaim's retort. Here is the version
of the story I found in an issue of the Aram Soba Foundation Newsletter
(parashah sheet) at
<http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/parsha/aram/archives/mikess59.htm>:

    Secular Jews in the city of Brisk, in an attempt to make a mockery of
    the religious community, staged a play depicting what a religious army
    under Torah authority would have looked like. The curtain rose over
    a group of soldiers dressed in black as the kohen spoke to the group:
    "Whoever has built a new home and did not dedicate it - should return
    to his home, lest he die in battle and another dedicate it" A group
    of soldiers marched and left their position. The kohen continued,
    "Whoever has planted a vineyard and did not perform hilul or who was
    betrothed to a woman and did not marry her - should return to his
    home" Again, a handful of got up and left. The kohen then proceeded
    to announce the final release: "Whoever is afraid and soft of heart -
    referring to those afraid on sins which they have committed - should
    return to their homes"

    Immediately, panic broke out among the soldiers. Who has not committed
    one sin or another? Who has never spoken any "lashon hara" or wasted
    any time from Torah study? They all picked themselves up and left.

    On the stage stood only three people - the kohen, and two elderly
    men. The first was the Vilna Gaon, and the second was the author of
    "Shaagat Aryeh." They engaged in an involved "halachic" discussion as
    to which one of them has the privilege of beginning the battle against
    the enemy. The frivolous audience broke out in hysterical laughter.

    Understandably, the secularists relished this or any opportunity to
    poke fun at the Torah. The religious community, however, turned to
    Rabbi Hayim of Brisk to ask for his response.

    Reb Hayim answered, "What can I say - they are correct! This is
    exactly how it appeared when the Jewish people went out to fight. But
    the actors forgot just one thing - those two won the battle!"

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Hod: How does submission result in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  and maintain a stable relationship?