[Avodah] forcing a GET

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu May 10 18:28:24 PDT 2012

R' Zev Sero wrote:
> So now you're saying every man who goes to a rabbanut BD is
> afraid of *false* imprisonment, and *this* fear should be
> equivalent to being treated with harchokos of RT?!

Where does the "every" come from? No one claimed that *every* man who goes to a Beis Din is afraid of false imprisonment. For the purposes of this discussion, what we need to clarify is whether such people are a mi'ut hamatzuy, or whether they are a negligible minority.

If a sufficiently significant number of men are indeed afraid of false imprisonment, then any get given by such men would be problematic, on account of being possibly forced, no?

(DISCLAIMER: I am *NOT* going to get involved with any discussions about how many men have this fear, or whether that number is significant, or whether such fears are justified. The ONLY point I'm suggesting is that IF enough men do feel that way, then I don't understand the objections to RMB's position.)

Akiva Miller