[Avodah] pulling the plug

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed May 9 00:11:25 PDT 2012

<<I heard a lecture from Prof. Charles Sprung, director of the ICU at
Hadassah Medical Center.
He stated that as we know according to halacha, we cannot disconnect a
ventilator once it has
been connected. However, he said something that sounded amazing to me. He
said that it is
acceptable according to most poskim, to attach the ventilator to a timer
and in that way it would
go off whenever it was set for. Am I the first person in the Avodah group
who has heard this? >>

Rav Zilberstein has mentioned this heter in shiurim to doctors. While in
theory it sounds fine I dont think it is ever used in practice

--
Eli Turkel