[Avodah] Pulling the Plug

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 8 12:24:11 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:49:36AM -0400, cantorwolberg at cox.net wrote:
:                                                          He said that it is
: acceptable according to most poskim, to attach the ventilator to a
: timer and in that way it would go off whenever it was set for. Am I
: the first person in the Avodah group who has heard this?

The nearest I heard of is that if the machine has to be off for
maintenance or other reasons, it needn't be reconnected. The difference
between doing something that kills and passively allowing death.

See the Tzitz Eliezer's (13:89) analysis of the Rama.

Micha Berger             Today is the 31st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Hod: What level of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      results in harmony and balance?