[Avodah] FW: [Areivim] Ohr LeGoyim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 27 07:58:07 PDT 2012

Backing up a bit, the underlying argument doesn't rest on the meaning of
leOr Goyim, and its contrast with the popular misquote Or laGoyim, because
Yeshaiah makes the point being attributed to the words elsewhere.

"Ki miTzion teitzei Torah."

Appears twice in Tanakh, Yeshaiah 2:3 and his slightly younger
contemporary, Mikhah 4:2. (I mention "slightly younger contemporary" to
tease someone who knows of a different dating to spawn a thread about it.)

Both pesuqim begin "Vehalkhu goyim rabim, ve'ameru: Lekhu vena'aleh
behar H'..." The pasuq we say during hotza'as seifer Torah is about the
day when the nations acknowledge our having the Torah and the Word of G-d.

: That is, to my mind, the concept which we understand to be or l'goyim is
: unquestionably there in the sources - it is just generally drawn from a psuk
: that is much more of a mouthful (Yeshiyahu 60:3)...

No, the mouthful is Yeshayahu 51:16. <grin>

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Tifferes: What role does harmony
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   play in maintaining relationships?