[Avodah] Music on Yom Haatzmaut and Lag B'Omer

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Apr 24 07:03:49 PDT 2012

On 24/04/2012 5:56 AM, Rafi and Shifra Goldmeier wrote:
> While the Shulchan Aruch does not actually say anything about music
> during Omer, the issues it does talk about are nahug until Lag or
> Lad b'omer by day, and not the night before. So, why is music different?

Who said it is?  I've never heard that those who follow the SA's psak
that the avelut continues until the morning, and who include music as
one of the things not done during the avelut period, start having
music from the evening.  Those who have music for the entire 33rd (and
don't during the avelut period) also suspend all other avelut practices
for the entire 33rd, and therefore don't say tachanun at mincha of the
32nd.

The basic issue is what Lag Ba'omer is about.  If it's merely the last
day of avelut for R Akiva's talmidim, then it's like the last day of
shiv`ah, and starts shortly after sunrise.  And there's no call for
real simcha, just the end of avelut; one doesn't usually go dancing
when one gets up from shiv`ah.  It's just a bit of a simcha relative to
the previous period.  But if it's the simcha of Rashbi, then it's a day
of positive simcha, and starts, like all festivals, from the evening.

And tachanun at mincha depends on when the next day's holiday starts.
Tachanun is omitted one tefillah before the start of any day on which
it is omitted.  For most holidays that means mincha; but for those that
start in the morning, the previous tefillah is maariv, when there isn't
a tachanun anyway.

R Micha wrote:
> Anyway, RAM posted to mail-jewish in the 1990s a list of 12 different
> shitos about when to mourn during omer.  I took his research, ran with
> it on Avodah (the original discussion was pre-Avodah) and produced
> <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2008/05/mourning-during-omer-2.shtml>.

The first shita is listed as that of the Ari, but it's a mistake; the
Ari says not to cut the hair for the entire sefirah until erev Shavuos,
but it has nothing to do with avelut per se.  It's about preparation
for Shavuot, and therefore applies even on days when there is no avelut,
and will presumably apply even when Moshiach comes.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion