[Avodah] What does "Redemption/Geulah" mean?

Daas Books info at daasbooks.com
Tue Apr 17 18:10:58 PDT 2012

>> We have ... five terminologies of redemption mentioned in the
>> Torah in regards to our Exodus. V?Hotzaisi- I will take you out,
>> V?Hitzalti- I will save you, V?Goalti- I will redeem you,
>> V?Lokachti- I will take  you, V?Haveisi- I will bring you (to
>> the land).
>
> That much seems to be universally acknowledged. The only dispute of which I'm
> aware is whether or not "v'hevesi" has already occurred or is to occur in the
> future, and whether or not we should have a fifth kos corresponding to it at
> the current time. But this discussion is about the meaning of Redemption, and
> all five words are part of that discussion.

See GRA on this part of the Haggada. He states that vlakachti and vaiter are
already post-ge¹ula. I.e., v¹goalti is the final, ultimate g¹eula, because
now you are out.

Ahh, but you ask, that only leaves 3! The GRA answers that v¹ga¹alti counts
for two. And his proof is ingenious, you have to see it for yourself.