[Avodah] pikuach nefesh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 16 13:44:39 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:39:22AM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
:> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 02:41:26PM -0400, hankman wrote:
:>: Walking home from shul I mentioned this thread to a prominent Rov
:>: in town, (not named as I did not ask if I could quote him publicly on
:>: this) he responded that for pikuach nefesh there is no lower limit
:>: -- mephakchin olov es hagal if there is the SLIGHTEST chance the
:>: man is still living -- without concern for the issur Shabbos...
:
:> I do not believe anyone means "slightest" literally, if they thought
:> about it. Try posing to this "prominent rav" (I have anonymity!) the
:> comparison I did: Is it assur to cross the street? ...

: R Elyashiv shlita paskins one is mechallel shabbat if the chances are
: 1/1000 or greater,

Which is larger than the fraction of metzitzos bepeh that end up having
medical problems.

So from what you report, RYSE wouldn't consider MbP to be a piquach
nefesh issue.