[Avodah] Leading Charedi Posek Says metzitza' Should Not

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Apr 9 14:22:08 PDT 2012

On 9/04/2012 12:39 PM, Beth & David Cohen wrote:
> Then this leads me back to my original question: do we have any sources that deal with balancing l'chatchila requirements with possible pikuach nefesh considerations?  IOW, assuming metzitza is a l'chatchila requirement, but b'deeved the bris milah is kosher, does pikuach nefesh override the requirement? Sources??

I don't see how that's relevant.  The fact that bedi`avad the boy is
not an `arel doesn't change the fact that metzitzah is an integral
part of the mitzvah, and cannot be lightly dispensed with.  Nor does
it make the slightest difference *why* it came to be part of the
mitzvah; all that matters is that it *is*.  Would anyone suggest that
since tzitzin she'einan me`akvin are kosher bediavad, one can treat
lightly the requirement to remove them?

As for why metzitza is not me`akev, I think it's pretty obvious; it's
impossible to rectify.  There is no metzitza with hatafas dam, so
what are you going to do?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion