[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 5 14:44:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 05:04:23PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: On 5/04/2012 4:56 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
:> Let me do it stepwise:
:> 44 cm/ammah / 24 etzba/amah = 1.3 cm / etzbah

: You mean 1.833

:  2 x 2 x 2.7 etzbah = 3.67 x 3.67 x 4.95 cm = 19.8 cc

: Oops.  What are you doing there?  Try again.

Ah, I see, I only did the etzba to cm conversion once rather than
thrice. 66.7 cc / revi'is it is, yeilding a kezayis of 22.3 cc.

In terms of olive trees still around from Chazal's day, the largest
are shami olives, but they run about half that -- and we are aiming for
the medium. So much for getting a consistent value through historical
recreation!

Or, comparing to acharonic shitos, we get somewhere between the CI's
*lemaaseh* of 17cc and R' Naeh's 27cc. I should point out that my attempt
at defining an archeological ammah is also slightly below RACN's at a
range of 43.25 - 44.4 cm.