[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Apr 5 14:04:23 PDT 2012

On 5/04/2012 4:10 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> Furthermore, there is no universally accepted shiur.  There are different
> shitot.

Not really.  There's a historically accepted shiur, and then there's
the recent chumra by some Ashkenazi acharonim which never got wide
acceptance.

In any event, while Rashi and the Baalei Hatosfos may never have
seen an olive, the Rambam certainly did.  And the Yerushalmim who
established their minhag did.

On 5/04/2012 4:10 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> If we -- today -- had never seen an olive and were simply using the
> term k'zayit because that's what it says in the Gemara, we'd have to
> make a WAG as to the size of an olive.  Erring on the side of bigger,
> of course.

How could we err on the side of bigger, when that is often a kula?
We'd have to give a range, as we do anyway when we say that a kezayit
is either 1/2 or 1/3 of a kebeitza.

On 5/04/2012 4:56 PM, Micha Berger wrote:

> Let me do it stepwise:

> 44 cm/ammah / 24 etzba/amah = 1.3 cm / etzbah

You mean 1.833

 2 x 2 x 2.7 etzbah = 3.67 x 3.67 x 4.95 cm = 19.8 cc

Oops.  What are you doing there?  Try again.

On 5/04/2012 4:56 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> 5- Rambam, Hil' Shemitah veYovel 10:5 says the geonim of EY had a broken
> mesorah about which year was shemittah (derabbanban), because the didn't
> account for shemittah during bayis I and II. Still, he says their ruling
> is binding anyway.

On the contrary, he says they have an *unbroken* mesorah that what Chazal
did during Galus Bavel and again after churban bayis sheni was different
from what he thinks they ought to have done.  And he therefore defers to
that mesorah, and the count that results from it, because he accepts that
it is unbroken since Chazal's time.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name