[Avodah] Leading Charedi Posek Says metzitza' Should Not

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Apr 3 16:01:18 PDT 2012

On 3/04/2012 3:39 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> I am saying the people who insider on metzitzah bepeh believe that
> a circumcision without metzitzah is not a beris milah. The boy, even
> bedi'eved, is an areil.

Is there really anyone who holds that?  All the sources I'm aware of
seem pretty clear that bediavad peri`ah is me`akev, but metzitza is not.
It says "mal velo para` ke'ilu lo mal", but it never says anywhere that
"mal velo matzatz ke'ilu lo mal", implying that bediavad the boy is not
an `arel.

This does not imply that metzitzah is not part of the mitzvah.  On the
contrary, the Rambam's lashon strongly implies that it is.  But it's
like tzitzin she'einan me`akvin; they must be cut, but if they weren't
there's no need to redo the milah.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion