[Avodah] Eliyahu beHar haCarmel

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:40:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 13:24, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:10:41PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> >> Ein [habamah] niteres ela benavi." I'm I wrong, or is RYBC saying that
> >> the permissability of a navi making a bamah is mutar in principle,
> >> even if only one navi invoked it?
>
> > "Niters benavi" *is* "hora'as sha'ah".  That's what "hora'as shaah"
> > *means*.
>
> The pasuq isn't about pesaqim in general nor about hora'ah. The pasuq in
> Devarim is a statement speicifically about bamos. And its heter appears
> to be based on the fact that Eliyahu was told to build a bamah on Har
> HaKarmel, it wasn't a place he picked himself, and thus not within the
> terms of the issur.
>
> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha

IIRC the medrash claims that Eliyahu was not commanded to build the bamah &
it was one of the many acts that he did of his own accord that seems to
"force" God's hand.  In the end that is why Eliyahu had to be "taken away"
and Elisha put in his place.

The Navi says that God told him to meet with Achav.  No details about what
should happen at the meeting are given.  It does not say have a "public
meeting" with all the Baal prophets.

Saul